I don't recall when I found this Tom Jones Tiny Desk show, but it's amazing that it was published in 2009. It was certainly years after that, probably 2013. Both of those years are a long time ago! In any event, this little show sold me on the Tiny Desk format for all time. Here are some elements that make this what it is:
- Tom Jones' North Face pullover.
- Tom filling up that first-gen tiny desk setup like Kong in a forgotten little alcove of Skull Island.
- Tom's coughing and between-song banter, which comes across more like studio riffing than live performance.
- The bad mood lighting.
- Bob Boilen's emotional intro.
- The way Tom Jones closes the show by asking, "Okay?"
The Tiny Desk is now a staple, and one of those projects that makes the Internet worthwhile after all.